POSITION TITLE: Written Story Sharer
|Supervised by: Executive Director|
Hours depend on grant/proposal/reporting calendar
Location: Remote with in-person hours required each month
WORK SCOPE SUMMARY
The Written Story Sharer is the primary creator and writer of grants at La Casa Hogar. Here is our philosophy:
Grant writers have been historically awarded grants by victimizing communities of color and organization’s “clients” in the stories we tell and the ways we write. La Casa Hogar writes and wins grants from a strengths-based lens, highlighting the values, strengths and resilience of those who come to La Casa Hogar. Instead of seeking “help”, La Casa writes grants as invitations into a larger vision and mission. La Casa perceives grants and proposals as opportunities to capture our organizational and student/staff voices in writing to share and declare a different narrative—not one of deficit, but one of strength. How? Here are some examples: *Submitting reports, grants or proposals with Spanish and English mixed together; *Directly incorporating student voices and staff voices; *Orienting writing around the high value of authentically sharing voice.
La Casa is intentional around when to apply for grants and accept funds, and when to not in order to best pursue the mission, vision and values of the organization. Each aspect of this consulting position is an opportunity for the writer to learn to write effectively and capture the energy and essence of La Casa. In order to do this best, we expect the writer to spend time immersed in our work, students’ lives, Yakima’s context and the values living and breathing at La Casa Hogar.
Does this philosophy match with yours? If so, here are the skills we seek:
- Strong computer literacy, specifically: Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Can develop and create timelines; takes ownership of work to execute the timelines and complete applications. Manages deadlines well.
- Can effectively self-advocate on behalf of the organization; knows when funders’ expectations are unreasonable and can effectively communicate and ask for partnership in order for organizational needs to be met.
- Strong writer in Spanish and English. Uses “active voice” in writing; not passive voice.
- Humble and open to learning from La Casa’s students and then able to capture those experiences in words.
- Open to feedback and constructive criticism.
- Involves team members to develop learning environment through proposal and reporting opportunities.
- Respects all who are related to or come to La Casa Hogar
- Respects and understand the mission, vision and values of La Casa Hogar.
Experience: Working across cultures, languages and communities. Experience writing under deadlines and diverse audiences. Creative writing and storytelling experience- formal or informally.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Bilingual-English and Spanish REQUIRED
- Critical thinker, self-directed, collaborative, efficient, open-minded
- Creative problem-solver; willingness to learn new things.
- Positive and friendly attitude; enjoys meeting new people.
- Meets deadlines and has attention to details.
- Respects and builds positive relationships with children and families.
- Contributes a positive organizational culture; strong verbal communicator.
- Microsoft Office (Powerpoint, Excel, Word)
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Some weekend and evening work may be required.
- May work remotely; on-site hours required each month at a schedule set in advance.
- This position requires typing with high accuracy and efficiency.
How do I apply?
Send a word document, or an email answering the following questions to Laura Armstrong, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What does equity mean to you?
- Please share a story of when you partnered with someone to pursue his/her personal goal. How did this experience impact you? What did you learn?
- What do you need to write your best writing?
- Please write one to two paragraphs in Spanish about your top 3 personal values and how you live them out.
- What excites you about this position?
- Please attach an example a piece of writing which you think best demonstrates the skills described above and of which you are most proud.
La Casa Hogar is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, alienage or citizenship, or disability.